Currently the weather here in Bangalore is very pleasant and at times quite chilly too especially towards the evening. Its during times like these, just the thought of sipping a hot bowl of soup while sitting in the balcony, makes one feel good. I decided to change visualization to reality and headed straight towards my fridge. I had a few vegetables but only one beetroot. So decided to use this. I then rummaged through my recipe collections and found three beetroot recipes. But could not follow any one recipe as I did not have all the ingredients needed. Thus a new Soup was born with bits of inputs from all the three recipes. And the result was very satisfying.
My spouse just loved it. So that made my day!
|Beetroot (boiled)||1 medium|
|Tomato (blanched)||1 medium|
|Ginger (minced)||1inch piece|
|Green chilly (sliced)||1|
|Coconut Milk||3-4 tbsps|
|Salt||As per taste|
- Peel the skins from the blanched tomato and boiled beetroot and roughly chop them and keep aside.
- Slice the spring onions and separate the onions from the greens and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil in it. Add the greens (only) of the spring onion and lightly fry it for a few minutes and remove. This is then used for garnishing.
- In the same pan, now add the sliced onions, green chilies and minced ginger. Saute it for a while.
- Next add the beetroot and tomato pieces, salt, coconut milk and the stock left over after boiling beetroot and tomato.
- Allow this mixture to boil for about 10-12 mins and remove from flame.
- When slightly cooled, blend the whole mixture to a puree.
- Serve hot. Garnish with prepared greens of the spring onion.
|Ingredients - chopped and kept ready|
|Onion, ginger and chilly being stir-fried in oil|
|Added beetroot, tomato, salt and coconut milk and kept for boiilng|
|Mixture blended into puree|
|Beetroot Soup garnished and ready to be served|
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking : 25 mins
- I used packaged coconut milk in this recipe.
- If you like it more spicy, you can either add pepper powder or include one more chilly. The choice is yours.
- I used spring onions instead of regular onions as the prices of these are sky-rocketing!