Sunday, April 27, 2014

Aam Panna

The summer is here and so also the mango season - they go hand-in-hand. A refreshing drink to help you keep cool this summer.

My spouse brought home a few raw mangoes as well as the ripe ones. This time I decided to try Aam Panna (raw Mango juice) concentrate so that I can preserve it for a few days and serve it when my guests arrive at the weekend. I searched on the net and got this recipe (see below for the link). I made a few changes in the recipe and spiced it up a bit by adding dry ginger powder, black pepper powder and cardamom powder for that extra punch.

I liked the end result and my spouse too gave it a “Thumbs Up” ! You too can make some variations in the spices as per your choice.

08-P4220026


Ingredients:

Raw Mangoes 2 Medium
Jaggery Powder 1/2 cup
Water 1 cup
Rock salt (Kala Namak) 1 tsp
Cummin (jeera) powder 1 tsp
Dry ginger powder 1-1/2 tsp
Black Pepper powder 1-1/2 tsp
Mint leaves 10 -12 leaves
Cardamom powder 1 tsp

Method :

  1. Wash and peel the raw mangoes and cut them into chunks.
  2. Cook the mango chunks in a pressure cooker for 15 mins. And when done remove from the cooker and allow it to cool completely.
  3. Combine jaggery powder and water and heat it until jaggery is completely melted and when slightly cooled, filter it and get rid of (if any) impurities. Let this also cool completely.
  4. Next, in a mixie jar, add the cooked and cooled mango pieces, mint leaves, rock salt, cumin powder,dry ginger powder, and black pepper powder and grind this to a puree.
  5. Now mix the cooled melted jaggery with the puree.
  6. Finally add cardamom powder and give it a good stir.
  7. The “Aam Panna” concentrate is now ready.
  8. Store the concentrate in an air-tight sterilised glass bottle and refrigerate it.
To Serve:
In a glass, add about 3 tbsps of this prepared concentrate and mix water as required. Stir and serve chilled garnished with mint leaves.


Raw mangoes
Two raw mangoes- peeled and chopped
Jaggery powder being melted in water


Steamed raw mango pieces


Ingredients

Cardamom powder added to the mixture.


Ready to serve

Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
Cooling time : about an hour
Makes: About 8 glasses

Note:

20 comments:

  1. Wow! Panna looks very delicious. My favourite too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can drink this aam paana anytime of the day,my all time favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks easy and doable...:) thanks for stopping by my place. You have a beautiful blog... I'll be back for moire visits.... Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So perfect for summers with my favorite mangoes in it :) BTW I liked the photo with chopped and cleaned mangoes (Light there is great)..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me get the mangoes tomorrow. In fact I have Pina Colada on my mind; which means buy another mango to make this tempting spicy sweetness drink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool & refreshing ...i feel like having that glass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very refreshing drink for the summer..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I an Aam Panna fan and never seem to get tired of it! I wish I could grab that glass right away ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make aam panna differently. But this looks really refreshing with the addition of mint, kaala namak and ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this aam ka panna...looks so yummy and spicy..

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! this is worth trying this summer.. I am greatly in need of a refreshment :)
    very new to me.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow Perfect for the summer season :-) Looks very delicious

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aam panna looks very inviting. Dry ginger powder seems to be a very smart addition!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Shobha,
    I have an award for you in my blog. Please visit me for details.
    -Ranjitha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shobha, If you decide to accept the award, there are few things you will have to follow. Please visit this link for further details.
      http://hookingtheyarn.blogspot.ca/2014/05/for-what-joy.html

      thank you!
      Hope you are having a good week.
      -Ranjitha

      Delete