For me, Sandwiches means, picnics, outings or short travels. During our recent train journey (for the Ganesh Chaturthi festival) I made these grilled sandwiches in a Sandwich toaster and they tasted wonderful. It's a meal by itself.
I am sure everybody will agree with me that there is no comparison to a healthy home-cooked food especially during overnight journeys. I have tried carrying different items for the journey but found that these grilled sandwiches to be most suitable as they are devoid of any mess or spilling as they are sealed from all sides - thus making the journey more comfortable. Even during the long drives on weekends with my daughter and son-in-law, I make it a point to make these sandwiches whenever possible. Everyone loves them as they can be eaten without much paraphernalia of plates, spoons etc.
|For the Stuffing:|
|Mixed Vegetables chopped||A handful of each vegetable|
|Onion (chopped)||1 medium|
|Ginger (chopped)||1 inch piece|
|Tomatoes (chopped)||2 medium|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 tsp|
|Chilly powder||3/4 tsp or as desired|
|Garam masala||1 tsp|
|Coriander leaves chopped||For garnish|
|Salt||As per taste|
For the stuffing:
- Steam or cook the chopped mixed vegetables in a steamer or pressure cooker. And keep them aside.
- Next heat oil in a pan/wok. Add garlic and ginger. Saute it for a while and then add chopped onions.
- When onions turn translucent, add the chopped tomatoes. Saute it for a while till the tomatoes are cooked. Then add turmeric powder, chilly powder and the garam masala. Give it a good stir.
- Now add the steamed/cooked mixed vegetables, salt and a little water if necessary and mix it well.
- Let it cook for about 5mins on a low heat so that the masalas and salt are absorbed by the vegetables.
- Remove from flame and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and keep it aside without covering.
For preparing the grilled sandwiches
- Take each bread slice and thinly apply butter on either side of the slice and stack it on one side and keep it ready.
- In the meantime, heat the Sandwich toaster and when it almost reaches the desired temperature, open the lid and fill evenly 4 slices of bread with the stuffing and place it on the grilled platform of the sandwich toaster.
- On top of each filled slice, place another slice to cover the filling and close the lid of the toaster.
- After 1-2 minutes, open the lid.
- Your 4 grilled sandwiches are ready to be served with coriander and mint chutney or tomato sauce.
Preparation time : 20 mins
Cooking time : 25 mins
Makes: 8 triangular grilled sandwiches
- I used unsalted butter and whole wheat bread. You may use any butter or bread of your choice. When served hot, it's nice and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- You can prepare any curry of your choice for the stuffing but take care to see that the curry is dry or else your sandwiches will turn soggy.
- And applying butter on either side of the bread slice also prevents the sandwiches from getting soggy.
- Ideal for picnics, short journeys, lunch box and tea-time snacks.