This tasty salad is very quick and easy to prepare and is very healthy too. It is said that cabbage should be eaten raw i.e. in the form of salad rather than cooking, as it loses some of its valuable nutrients. Moreover, no cooking means less work too !
Earlier, I used to prepare this salad in a different way but I found that nothing beats our "desi" type of salad with "desi" ingredients. I learnt this recipe from one of my nieces (from my husband's side). You can spice it up adding more chilies if you so desire. She prepared this once at our place with the green cabbage. I used the same method for the purple one and the result is the same except that the leaves of the purple cabbage are slightly tougher than the green ones - tastewise, they are similar. Try it out and see for yourself.
250 gms - Purple Cabbage
1 (large) - Onion
Salt to taste
2 tsps - Oil
1 tsp - Mustard seeds
1 tsp - Jeera (cumin) seeds
a pinch - Asafetida
1 or 2 - Green chilly (slit)
1 sprig - Curry leaves
2 tbsps - Coriander leaves (chopped)
2 tsps - Lime juice
- Wash the cabbage and chop it finely. (If you have a food processor, this can be done in a few seconds).
- Chop the onions too finely.
- In a bowl, mix the chopped cabbage and onion and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add the seasoning ingredients - mustard seeds, cumin seeds and when they start spluttering add the split green chilly, asafetida and curry leaves.
- Fry it for a while and then pour the seasoning onto the cabbage and onion mix.
- Mix it thoroughly and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and lime juice.
- Add salt just before serving and mix well.
This salad goes well with chapatis or puris.