“Okra” or “ Lady’s finger” or “ Bhendi” (in Hindi) is generally available throughout the year. A variety of dishes can be prepared from this wonderful green vegetable.
This Maharashtrian dish is not only tasty and attractive.but also quite easy to prepare. Try it out.
250 gms tender Okra (lady’s fingers)
3tbsps Gram flour
1 tsp Chilly powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
½ tsp – sugar
Juice of 1 lime
Salt to taste
2 tbsps oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
A pinch asafetida
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp coriander leaves
1 tbsp grated coconut
- Wash the Okra (lady’s fingers) and pat them dry with a kitchen towel. Cut off the edges and make a slit in the centre lengthwise into each one of them.
- Mix all the filling items in a bowl to form a thick paste. Take a little of this paste and stuff it well into each okra slits.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan or Kadai. Add to it the seasoning ingredients. When the mustard seeds stops spluttering, add the stuffed okra one by one taking care to see that the stuffing (masala) does not come out.
- Cover the pan and cook on low heat. Occasionally stir the okra taking care to see that they are not burnt. Cook till done.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and grated coconut.
- This dish goes well with Rice & Dal.
- It is advisable to use non-stick pan/kadai while cooking this dish as no water is added while cooking.