At the onset, I wish all my friends, readers and relatives, a very Peaceful, Healthy, Happy and a Prosperous 2014. I hope the new year has brought glad tidings to you all.
Lets start the New Year by eating healthy foods. On a cold day, a hot soup is always welcome. Its a perfect food for this season. The addition of ginger and freshly ground pepper gives that extra zing to this soup. Besides, carrots are a good source of vitamin A. So eat healthy and be happy.
|Carrots||About 300 gms|
|Olive oil||1 tbsp|
|Onion (chopped)||1 medium|
|Veg stock/ Water||3 cups|
|Salt||as per taste|
|Pepper (freshly ground)||As per taste|
|Coriander leaves (chopped)||For garnish|
- Wash, peel and chop carrots and ginger separately and keep aside.
- Heat a saucepan with olive oil on a low flame. Add chopped onions and ginger and saute it till the onions are translucent.
- Next add chopped carrots and stir it for a few minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water or veg stock and increase the flame. Let it boil. Once it starts boiling, lower the flame and allow it to cook. This may take about 25-30 mins.
- Once the carrots are cooked, add salt. Stir well and switch off the gas.
- Let it to cool. Then blend it in a blender or a food processor to a fine paste.
- Transfer the contents into the same saucepan again and heat it if necessary.
- At this stage, if required, you may add the remaining one cup of water to dilute the soup. Stir well and remove from flame.
- Pour the content into soup bowls, add freshly ground pepper as per taste and garnish with chopped corriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
|Carrots, Ginger and coriander leaves|
|Chopped onion and ginger being sauted|
|Chopped carrots being added|
|Carrots being cooked in water|
|The carrot, ginger and onion mixture ground to a fine paste|
|The mixture diluted with water|
Cooking time : 30-35 mins
Serves : 4
- You can also cook the carrots in a pressure cooker in which case it will take less time to cook.
- Addition of water to dilute the soup can be adjusted as per once requirement.