Monday, March 21, 2011

Methi Crispies

Hello folks ! I have been busy lately with a lot of commitments at home and celebrations too. The good thing about this is I had to prepare a lot of goodies which I shall share with you all !

This easy to prepare snack, apart from being tasty is also very healthy as these crispies are not deep fried but baked.
I made slight changes from the original recipe which had appeared in the Times of India column (Food Line) sometime back. And this time, I also doubled the quantity of the ingredients mentioned here.

The original recipe asked for fresh Methi (fenugreek) leaves or spinach. I have tried this recipe earlier using fresh fenugreek leaves. However, at the time of preparing this, I did not have fresh fenugreek leaves so I used Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves).  I did not find much difference in the taste.
In my opinion, using Kasuri Methi is a better option as it involves less work (no picking the tender leaves, washing, and chopping). :)


 Methi Crispies
This is the second batch I baked. The first batch I made were round in shape.


Methi Crispies 1
Cut into different shapes and ready to be baked.


Ingredients:

Whole wheat flour
½ cup
Gram flour (besan)
½ cup
Chilly powder
1 tsp or as per taste
Turmeric powder
¼ tsp
Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
2 tbsps
Oil
2tsps
Asafoetida
A pinch
Salt
1 tsp or as per taste
Water
about 1 cup for kneading


Method:

  1. Mix all the above ingredients together and make a stiff dough by adding enough water while kneading.
  2. Divide the dough into four balls.
  3. Roll out each ball like chapattis (not very thick) using wheat flour and with the help of a cutter, cut the chapattis into small round, heart or rectangular shapes.
  4. Prick each piece lightly with a fork.
  5. Continue till all the dough has been used.
  6. Arrange them on a well greased baking tray and bake in a hot oven at 150 degree C (or 330 degrees F) for 15 minutes.

Makes: about 20 pieces depending on the size and the shape.

Serving suggestion:
  • It can be had plain as it is or can be eaten with any chutney or ketchup or a dip
  • You can also serve it as a starter – place about 10 pieces on a plate. Top each piece with chopped onions, tomatoes, imli (tamarind) chutney etc. (Use your imagination) 

Note:

  • This is a good alternative to the fried snacks generally had during tea-time.
  • For round shape, I used doughnut cutter (detached the inner round piece), for heart-shape, I used heart-shaped patties mould and for rectangle shape, I used the “Tukdi” or “shankarpali” cutter.

2 comments: