Saturday, August 25, 2012

Sweet and Spicy Ginger


This is yet another dish made from tender ginger. After the success of Ginger Murabba, my better half bought some more tender ginger (these are now available in plenty during the monsoon season and he loves ginger). I was at my wits end! I searched the net for some easy and tasty recipe and finally found this one which I am sharing with you all.

At first I tried it out with a very small quantity and only after it was approved (by my better-half), I used a larger amount (150 gms) and after grating, it measured - 1 cup. You may use this quantity or halve the measurements for trial. You can also adjust the chillies (less or more) as per your taste. If you like the taste of ginger, you will surely like this one.

Some of you may not be aware of Kalonji seeds used in this recipe. These are extensively used in North of India. I came to know about this only a few years ago and have been using this ever since as its benefits are tremendous. It is said that these Kalonji seeds can cure every disease except death!!

 Sweet and Spicy Ginger 18


Ingredients:

Ginger
150 gms
Green chillies (slit)
3
Jaggery (powdered)
¾ cup – 1 cup
Oil
3 tsps
Kalonji (nigella seeds)
½ tsp
Turmeric
½ tsp


Method:

  1. Wash, scrape and grate the ginger and keep it aside.
  2. Heat oil in a pan. Add kalonji seeds to it and fry for a few seconds on a low flame.
  3. Next add grated ginger and stir fry again for a further few seconds.
  4. Now, add the slit green chillies and turmeric and fry for another 5 minutes.
  5. Finally add the powdered jaggery and cook on low flame till the jaggery melts.
  6. Mix well and switch off the gas.
  7. Serve when cooled.
  
Ginger - washed and scraped

Ingredients kept ready


 Ingredients being stir-fried

Jaggery almost melted.


Preparation time: 10-15 mins
Cooking time     :  7 mins
Makes               :  1 small bowl

  
Note:

  • This goes well with chapattis or as a sandwich spread too.
  • I got this recipe from: http://www.inhouserecipes.com
  • The original recipe asked for 1 cup jaggery. I used 3/4th cup.
  
For more info on Kalonji (nigella seeds):

9 comments:

  1. I have kalonji and keep wondering where I can use it. And I like anything with ginger. The murabba still needs to be made. And this one gets added to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and different ginger recipe.love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very interesting recipe..thanks for sharing dear..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  4. very different and interesting recipes..will try it sure!!!
    http://www.indiantastyfoodrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the combination ginger, jaggery , kalonji.. very interesting and am sure tastes yummm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds very appetizing and spicy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slurp,fingerlicking and irresistible recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The third variation I am seeing today in my blog hop - looks pretty delicious!

    ReplyDelete