You must have faced this situation sometime or the other - what to do with the left-over chapattis? Well ofcourse, the easy way out would be to eat the same boring thing by warming it up!!
Next time, may be you can try out these two interesting ways of eating the left over chapattis. Do not be surprised if you are tempted to make more chapattis than you normally need to, so that you can make these tasty snacks the next day!!
As I am writing this, I suddenly remembered that there is also a third way of transforming the humble chapatti into an interesting one. This will have to wait for now as I had only six (leftover) chapattis. I used four for the usli and two for the pizza.
If anyone has any new ideas for left-over chapattis, please do write in.
Snack Number 1 – Chapatti Usli
- Roughly tear off the chapattis into small pieces.
- Heat a pan and add to it – oil, mustard seeds and salt. When mustard seed starts to pop, add turmeric powder, chopped onions, curry leaves and green chilies and chopped tomatoes. Saute it for a while till the onions are translucent.
- Lower the flame and add the chapatti pieces and mix well. Cover the lid. After about a few minutes, switch off the gas.
- Garnish with lime juice, coconut scrapings and coriander leaves.
Snack Number 2 – Chapatti Pizza
- Heat a pan or a tawa. See that the pan/tawa is hot. Then lower the flame to minimum.
- Lightly smear the chapattis with ghee or oil on both sides and place the chapattis on the pan one by one and heat it on either side till golden spots appear on both the sides and it loses all its moisture and softness and becomes nice and crisp.
- Heat all the chapattis in this way.
- While the chapattis are being heated, you can chop onions, tomatoes and coriander leaves and make a mixture of this adding salt and pepper or any other masala of your choice.
- Spread this mixture over each chapatti. You can also top it with some grated cheese, tomato ketchup and any other ingredients of your choice. Serve and relish.
- Chappati Usli can be made for breakfast or served as an evening snack or as a side-dish during lunch or dinner.
- Chapatti pizza can be served as an appetiser.