In Konkani language, “Haappolu” means Chilly Pappad and “kismuri” meaning a dry mixture. It is served as a side-dish and instantly adds that "zing" to any bland lunch!
This “kismuri is generally prepared during rainy season in our villages as in those days venturing out to buy vegetables was next to impossible. Hence, before the onset of monsoon, a lot of items (non-perishables) would be stocked in every household and one such item would be “happollu”.
These “Chilly Pappads” can be deep fried or fried directly over the flame. It is also eaten plain as an accompaniment during lunch or dinner like a normal pappad - except that, these are red in colour and very spicy.
Another "kismuri" which tastes divine is the "Bitter-gourd Kismuri" .
Happalla (Chilly Pappad)
Onion (chopped finely)
Freshly Grated coconut
Coriander leaves (chopped)
For smearing the pappad
Green chilies (chopped)
1 -2 tsps
As per taste
- Fry the chilly pappad directly over low flame. Fry it on either side using tongs till dark brown spots appear. Fry all the pappads in similar manner and keep them aside.
- Smear each pappad with oil. (Generally coconut oil is used. You can use any oil of your choice. I have omitted the oil in my recipe).
- In a separate bowl, crush together the chopped green chillies and salt
- In the same bowl, add grated coconut, chopped onions, chopped coriander leaves, and lime juice. Mix well and keep aside.
- Crush all the chilly pappads and combine it with the above mixture.
- Serve immediately.
" Haappolu" (Red Chilly Pappad) being fried over flame
"Haappolu" being fried with the help of tongs
Ingredients ready for preparing the "kismuri"
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time : 10 mins
Serves : 4
- This is a great accompaniment for rice and dal or rice and curds.
- Combine the crushed Haappolu to the onion-coconut mixture just before serving or else it gets soggy and looses its crunchiness.
- It tastes heavenly with our simple “Paez” (Konkani word for “kanji”).
- Since the “happallas are very spicy and also contain salt, you may omit the green chilies and salt depending upon ones taste.
- These Chilly Pappads are available in any Mangalore Stores.