It is also prepared with wheat flour and semollina (fine sooji) thereby omitting Maida (all purpose flour) all together. The variety is endless.
Maida (all purpose flour)
Freshly ground pepper
About 1 cup
Oil for deep frying
Preparation time : 30 mins
Frying time : 1 hour
- Mix the maida, wheat flour, pepper, salt and oil (1tbsp) in a bowl.
- Add water to it, a little at a time to form a soft dough.
- Divide this dough into 20 balls.
- In the meantime, heat a kadai/wok with oil on a moderate flame.
- Roll out one ball at a time into chapati of 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut each chappati with the "Tukdi cutter" diagonally so as to get the shape of a diamond.
- Separate the pieces and deep fry in oil till crisp and golden brown.
- Continue in this manner for all the 20 balls.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- The quantity of pepper can be increased if you need it more spicy.
- If you do not have a "Tukdi-cutter" you can cut it with a knife.
- Keeps for a month when stored in an air-tight container.
- Do not roll out all the dough at one time as the tukdi will not puff-up while frying.