Friday, October 2, 2009

Tabouleh


My close (Lebanese) friend Ms. Nana Turk introduced me to this wonderful tasty salad. I owe this recipe to her. Since I enjoy Lebanese cuisine, I have learnt quite a few recipes from her.


Ingredients :


Bulghur wheat

1/2 cup

Parsley

1 small bunch

Fresh mint

1 small bunch

Tomatoes

3-4

Spring onions

1 small bunch

Capsicum

1

Lemon

1 (juice of 1 Lime )

Black pepper

1 tsp

Salt

1 tsp or as per taste

Olive oil


1 tsp

Method :


  • Wash & soak the Bulgur wheat in a bowl for half an hour.
  • Then drain it completely and keep it aside.
  • Wash parsley, mint and tomatoes and chop them finely.
  • Finely chop the onions.
  • Add all the finely chopped vegetables to the drained bulgur wheat and mix it well.
  • Sprinkle black pepper and salt and add the olive oil.
  • Toss this gently.
  • Decorate it with a sliver of Green Pepper.
  • Serves 4

Note :


This is an Arabic/Lebanese salad. As you can see it is very colourful and tasty (take my word for it !) too.

In this recipe, I have slightly Indianised it. Instead of Bulgur wheat, spring onion & parsley, I used broken wheat, onion and coriander leaves.

Romaine Lettuce leaves are also used for decorating this salad.


Info :

Tabbūle is a Levantine Arabic word meaning literally "little spicy".


Source:

Wikipedia

6 comments:

  1. Looks dilly....sure it'll taste the same too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try the chocolate fudge this weekend.The picture itslef is so mouth watering,I don't mind putting on little weight.

    Jyoti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jyoti! I am sure the recipe was a success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wheat rava was not cooked? We are so used to cooking it a little or atleast roasting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just a small remark :D I am Lebanese and the right way to do it is to put 2 tbsp of burghul to 5 parsley bunch so when u look at it u should see parsley and tomatoes and taste the burghul not see it. Just wanted to help thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria for your visit and valuable feedback. I shall surely keep that in mind when I make this salad next time.

      Delete